Thursday, February 23, 2006

Joys of Youth



Coney Island always has something interesting to say. I was walking along the boardwalk yesterday during some free time I had, when I noticed that the only other people around at the time were the elderly and the young. At another point I noticed a child feeding seagulls which triggered memories of an earlier self that flooded my mind. It was nice to partake in such frivolities when I was just a boy. Life was simple and uncomplicated. Thinking to my self, I came to the conclusion [it was more like a confirmation really] that it is truly a shame we can no longer imbibe in such innocent pleasures during adulthood without seeming like a loon (think of the pigeon-lady in Home Alone 2). Perhaps we are all born with a drop of sagacity that tells us “enjoy being crazy while ya still can” and over time it evaporates with the discovery of greater wisdom. Which reminds me of the adage brought to us by Rabbi Meir in Pirkei Avos Ch. 4:
" אל תסתכל בקנקן, אלא במה שיש בו: יש קנקן חדש, מלא ישן; וישן, אפילו חדש אין בו "
Do not look at the flask but at what is in it; there may be a new flask that is full of old wine and an old flask that does not even have new wine in it.” Wouldn’t it be nice if we could all have brand new flasks with old wine in it ? I guess we cant really have it both ways... to enjoy the reckless and carefree youth or to enjoy the enlightenment that comes with age. One is sacrificed to the other.

PS - Matisyahu is releasing a new album called "Youth" on March 7th for those of you who dig Judaeo-Reggae .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're a booty kickin' photographer