Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Matthew Miller @ Hammerstein


We arrived in time to only catch the last few minutes of the opening act Trevor Hall, which is a shame... but that’s not who we came to see. Last night my sister and I went to see Matisyahu perform at the Hammerstein Ballroom. It was one of the best concerts I have been to in a while. It is very interesting to see a crowd of primarily gentiles of many different subcultures congregating whilst being peppered with Orthodox yarmulka wearing Jews. I was a little bit surprised when he recited the Shema with HaShem’s name hand over his eyes before this humongous crowd in a venue that is walking distance to Times Square. Yossi Piamenta made an appearance for one song - which was really rather unexpected I thought... I think that unfortunately many people there had no clue who the aging rockstar was. Matisyahu was more polished this time around (I saw him play last year at Irving Plaza)... guess that’s what happens when you tour the country performing constantly. The concert coincided with the release of his new album “Youth” and its Dub counterpart as well as Moshe Rabbeinu’s Yartzeit/Birthday [7th of Adar]. The crowd was shaking and dancing and expressing their joy throughout the entirety of the event. I didn’t really plan on going initially but my little sister kept on bugging me to find a way to get tickets [despite them being sold-out], so I went on to Craigslist and found some for double the ticket booth price and bought ‘em. Needless to say - it was worth it. I received the new album in the mail today - and ripped open the packaging as soon as I saw it... it will be on heavy rotation for a while. Anyway, its always cool to see a Frum Yid singing about the Geulah and Moshiach in a pop culture forum without even attempting to dilute the message - and then on top of it seeing the masses drawn to its appeal. Aside from my sister being a little bummed out that he didnt do Reggae/Hip-Hop version of MiShenichnas Adar , all in all we had an excellent time.

No comments: